Sunday 2 August 2015

Year Two Week Eight - Birds Spotted 1

Sorry for the lack of updates, but personal things have prevented me from posting recently.
I do have a new record bird from my time in Wales last weekend however.

Pied Flycatcher
Pied Flycatchers are dainty birds that come over to the UK for the summer. While the males can be resplendent in gorgeous black and white plumage, the female birds are far dowdier. I actually saw this one a long, long way off while I was trying to tempt birds to a nearby, more convenient viewing post I'd set up. Although I could see it was exhibiting typical flycatcher behaviour (darting from a perch before returning to it) I was too full of beer and bacon to get any closer to it. It didn't help that the weather was particularly brutal last week with very little sun that meant I got some pretty poor photos of it.
Although on the Amber List in the UK, around 20,000 breeding pairs can still be found here each year, and I'm delighted that I finally saw one, even if I had to get it identified after I got home. That's little brown jobs for you though, they can be a bugger to tell apart.


Admittedly not the best of pictures, but it's easy to tell it's a flycatcher.


The image becomes a little more impressive when you see how far away it was!

With the Pied Flycatcher I'm now up to 136 photographed birds with another 136 left to find!


Sadly I don't have too many decent shots for you this week, so I'll leave you with the ones that I didn't actually bin. 


Pied Wagtails were plentiful and always eating.


The poor light meant I soon gave up trying to get flying swallows.


Amazingly, my sister has Swallows nesting in her actual porch.


A pair of baby Great Tits in undergrowth.


A Skylark, it was way to wet to crawl around, which limited how close I could get.


A distant Whinchat.


Shooting a Swallow at 7am in the morning on an overcast day at 1/4000 is asking for trouble :P

No comments:

Post a Comment